MixedRoots

MixedRoots Blogging while mixed. Commentary on being biracial, challenging perceptions of race & religion in life and politics. Connecting all Cultures. Unity and Peace. Dedicated to celebrating all cultures, including mixed-heritages, inter-racial & inter-religious families and unions while educating others about the unique mixed-race and multicultural experience. Bridging the gaps between racial, ethnic, cultural & religious differences.

Monday, June 09, 2008

The Historical "Fist Bump"

The Historical "Fist Bump":
Obama gives Obama Dap and the world tries to figure it out!

On Tuesday when Barack became the presumptive nominee, clinching the Democratic Nomination, Michelle Obama, signaled -give me a fist bump baby- and Barack obliged her request happily. She congratulated her hubby with a cultural shake. It was a cute- the cutest dap exchange I've ever been witness to- but didn't think it would get so much attention. 

My early memories of a version of the fist bump is of the pound more than 15 years ago. I don't know when the first time I saw it done, I remember giving and receiving pounds in college.  But I distinctly remember someone- a sports agent- telling me that Kareem Abdul Jabbar is in large part responsible for the spread of the pound.  I don't recall the explanation, of why he started the using the pound, but he used it while he was a player with the Lakers.   If he wasn't the first, he was among the first to use it.  Then naturally, it became very popular with guys on the courts, pro and in the hood.  Then it spread from there.    I guess if you wanted to shake hand with Kareem you had to give him a pound.
Funny, that's how Howie Mandel (Deal or No Deal) insists on his greeting... he's a self professed germaphob.

Personally, I like the pound and fist bump, because it assists in limiting the spread of germs.  So there's a little know fact about me, I'm a germ nut. Well I guess it would be more accurate to say I'm an avoid-a-germ nut.  I think this was the reason the guy said Kareem used it- to avoid germs.  So check out the most famous fist bump yet!
I'm curious to know what will become of the booty tap Barack gave Michelle immediately following the fist bump.  


Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit CountersFree Hit Counter