MixedRoots

MixedRoots Blogging while mixed. Commentary on being biracial, challenging perceptions of race & religion in life and politics. Connecting all Cultures. Unity and Peace. Dedicated to celebrating all cultures, including mixed-heritages, inter-racial & inter-religious families and unions while educating others about the unique mixed-race and multicultural experience. Bridging the gaps between racial, ethnic, cultural & religious differences.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Art Imitating Life- the genetic factor-Appreciation

Art Imitating Life- the genetic factor


To my delight I saw this and was taken by the illustration by -a cuban artist-Ruben Toledo. The illustration graces the cover of the Nordstrom catalogue this month- and depicts a woman of color with blue/grey eyes. While gazing at it, I began to think about the wonders of how genetics function in making up a person's appearance. Part of my draw was not only the beauty of this illustration, but because the eyes of the woman in the illustration reminded me of my own daughter's eyes. I began to wonder was this illustration inspired by a woman Toledo knows? Is she of mixed race? Is she Cuban and do many Cubans have these characteristics. Then I stopped....and just appreciated the illustration and the wonder of genetics. So often people can become lost in how to classify a person, as opposed to appreciating the wonders of genetics.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit CountersFree Hit Counter