MixedRoots

MixedRoots Blogging while mixed. Commentary on being biracial, challenging perceptions of race & religion in life and politics. Connecting all Cultures. Unity and Peace. Dedicated to celebrating all cultures, including mixed-heritages, inter-racial & inter-religious families and unions while educating others about the unique mixed-race and multicultural experience. Bridging the gaps between racial, ethnic, cultural & religious differences.

Monday, January 12, 2009

Etta James




Etta James a legendary Songstress....


Just around the time Cadillac Records was due to hit the big screen - while I was traveling-  I heard a news report that Etta James had passed away.   I've searched the internet recently and I don't see any news whatsoever that she has died.  So I guess it was a mis-report of misinformation.  

I learned of Ms. James through my mother years and years ago.  As many young women, I
 decided that I would dance to her song "At Last" at my wedding.  I did just that!

This is the month of her birth (Jan. 25, 1938), so I thought it fitting to note her in my blog.
She was born Jamesetta Hawkins in LA, California.  According to wikipedia, Dorothy, her mother was African-American and just fourteen years of age and not married when Etta was born.  Etta's father, Rudolph "Minnesota Fats" Wanderone was a Caucasian pool player and he allegedly paid them support money on the condition that they kept his paternity a secret.

Ms. James is a multi-Grammy award winner and was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1993 and into the Blues Hall of Fame in 2001 and into the Grammy Hall of Fame both in 1999 and in 2008!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MS. ETTA JAMES!!!!


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit CountersFree Hit Counter